Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Changing the Big Red House

Well we have been living in a Big Red House as my grandchildren call for all these years. It has been red since the time it was built about 1912. We really liked the color but it always looked dusty and dirty and it was to big for us old people to paint. Joel had painted the south side once and it's 3 stories on the back side behind the living room and he was pretty nervous on the ladder. It needed painted very badly again so we decided it was time to have it sided. So we choose a red not like the red that was on it but a little different, got to looking at each other and about the same time said maybe we should go a lighter color. Went through the samples and found one we liked called coastal sage with a light tan trim. Ok that was done felt pretty good about it and couldn't wait for them to get started.

So of course they are going to call before coming, which you know never happens. They show up Sat morning, my granddaughter comes in wakes me up and says they guys are here. Of course I think she is kidding, but of course not, then the door bell rings. I have not had a cup of coffee yet my eyes are hardly open and he wants to do a walk around and ask me a bunch of questions I don't now the answers to. Husband of course is working his Sat morning shift, I call can you get away for a few minutes? His reply is no I don't think so, Oh I need you home and explained the workers were here and I didn't have all the answers for them. He of course came home like a good husband who's wife is having a melt down. To much to soon in the morning for me. Got all of that done and he went back to work. They begin project, pulling everything out of there truck and the first siding is not the color I picked and I tell them, don't worry he says that is left over from another job, thank goodness because it was pretty ugly. Any how they begin the pounding the ladders all over, boxes of supplies all over the front yard and then it finally dawns on me that I'm really changing the color of the house I love so much and I'm I going to like. It's a lot of money to spend to think maybe you have made a mistake. Then as Heather and I are sitting at the table the tears come, complete melt down. Heather being the wonderful daughter she is wants to know what is wrong, Oh nothing I guess I just hope they know what there are doing and that we are going to like it.

That my sound really crazy, but my grandchildren have always said grandma and grandpa live in the big red house and Samantha was with us when she was small and we bought the house on vacation one year, so it has been a little harder on her than the others. Heather wasn't real sold on the changing the color either, she had her own joke about sending us to Acorn Acres to live one day and saying she lived the big red house and we lived in the small red house now. So no pressure on us about the house color.

Another thing about me is I'm very easy to cry, for no reason sometimes, or when someone else is crying, something on tv just about everything makes my tear ducts work. Not always a good thing.

It has been 5 days of hammering and pounding and the work is almost done, and I just love the way it looks. Love the sage green only one in the area that color and really make the house look even bigger. Heather and the kids seem to like it but it's not the red house any longer and that does make us all a little sad. But it is ours and changes are good and we never have to worry about the up keep on the out side.

12 comments:

Heather said...

I love this post mom! I'm so glad you guys sided the house so you will never have to worry about painting again. It was definitely hard to see the red go away, but well worth it in the end. Even if you had sided it red....it wouldn't have looked the same. You are right....change is good.

I love you....
To the Moon and Back:)

Susan said...

Oh, I will have to come by and see the new color. I loved the red but I am sure this new colr will be just as grand.

I am so glad to know that you are a cryer. My mom and I are the same way and we have now passed it on to my second born. I have caught myself crying at commercials. I had a friend who said,"That God blessed me with watering eyes." So just remember that God has blessed you with watering eyes.

Sharon said...

Heather, Thank you for saying you like the house, Know you weren't sure either. Mom

Sharon said...

Susan, please do come by and look at the house and let me know what you think. They should be done by next week. Glad to know some one else with watering eyes. Yeh I have done commercials to. My youngest granddaughter Jordan has also been blessed with watering eyes, she is so a mini me.

Samantha said...

I like the color Mimie but I love the red..Its not the same!1:) I love you

Indian Lake Papa said...

Sometimes we can change the outside but its really the inside that needs changing. In this case, the inside stayed the same - that's good. Sounds like you are pleased with new look.

Indian Lake Papa said...

I just figured this out - heh heh! you are Heather's mom! papa's not too dumb after all!!

Anonymous said...

Sharon I LOVE the new siding on your house! In fact when Ethan was driving me around (or should I say crazy) I said to him Oh! Look how great their house looks!!I think you will enjoy your siding!!! We always thought you had a beautiful home no matter the color!!We got a bid last year for siding but braces are coming first.
I'm glad you cry at everything because we have something in commom now!! I hope I can post this, might need HEATHER!!!

Susan said...

O.k. I came by and saw the house and I think it looks great. I really liked the red but the new color makes it look shiny and new. You picked a great color.

Indian Lake Papa said...

I was just noticing that the "Red House" is just a days drive from here. When are you going to come and visit the "Yellow house" where mama and papa live? Maybe you could bring your daughter??

Robin said...

Change is always hard, but sometimes for the better. This sounds like for the better because you won't have to worry about painting such a large house. Do you have any pictures before and after that you can share?

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see the new and improved! Could you get a picture of it and post for all of us to see?

I just can't imagine not seeing the big red house anymore, but I LOVE sage green too, so I'm sure it's beautiful!